As part of this year's online, virtual joint European Lipidomics Meeting and Lipidomics Forum 2020 LIFS offers a one day online workshop on Bioinformatics for Lipidomics.
Please note that we currently have no automatic registration response E-Mail set up. You should receive a confirmation E-Mail from the organizers within 24 hours or on the next working day.
Jacobo Miranda Ackerman, Fadi Al Machot, Nils Hoffmann (BioInfra.Prot / LIFS)
October 1st, 2020
Deadline for Workshop Registration:
September 25th, 2020
Online, virtual workshop as part of the joint European Lipidomics Meeting & Lipidomics Forum 2020.
In the first part of the course, we will work through an example for targeted LC-MS lipidomics with LipidCreator and Skyline. In the second part of the course, we will apply PeakStrainer and LipidXplorer for filtering, identification and quantification of lipid signals from shotgun lipidomics. The course will consist of a short theory and background overview of the employed programs complemented by the application of the tools to provided data sets. The third part of this course will work through a typical use-case of downstream data processing of shotgun lipidomics data following MS acquisition with LipidXplorer. We will inspect, check and normalize the data as well as calculate absolute quantities using internal class-specific standards with lxPostman. We will then perform a qualitative comparison of the lipidomes using the LUX Score lipidome homology.
09:00 – 09:30 Welcome and Introduction
09:30 – 12:00 Targeted Lipidomics with LipidCreator and Skyline
12:00 – 13:00 Break
13:00 – 15:00 Shotgun Lipidomics with PeakStrainer and LipidXplorer
15:00 – 16:00 Downstream processing with lxPostman
16:00 - 17:00 Lipidome comparison with LUX Score
Participants will be able to understand and explain the shotgun MS and targeted LC-MS workflows for lipidomics. They will learn the fundamentals of the software tools used and how to choose parameters for them. They will learn to understand and interpret the results of each step of the pipeline.
Basic knowledge of lipidomics, analytical workflows in lipidomics and basic familiarity with web-based and desktop applications. Please note that you may need to install software on your computer to fully participate in all exercises which may require the proper rights. The workshop will be a mix of small lecture segments and hands-on exercises. The trainers will be available for questions and assistance during the workshop. We will use Zoom to host the workshop. To participate, please ensure that the Zoom client software is installed on your computer.
Lipidomics, Shotgun, Targeted, LC-MS
Registration is now closed.
Instructions for Web Portal and Moodle access:
Please note that the workshop includes practical exercises, so to make the most of it, please make sure that your computer meets the following requirements:
- at least a 2-core CPU
- min. 4 - 8 GB RAM
- Windows 10
- up-to-date internet browser (Edge, Firefox, Chrome)
- ~ 2 GB of local disk space to download and install the necessary software and training data.
Some of the software used during the workshop will be available for use during the workshop via our web application portal.
Please go to the following page and log in with the provided credentials to activate your account:
- Your user roles are available here:
- You should see the applications lifs-apps-webapp, lipidxplorer, luxscore, and shiny. If you click on any of them, you should see your assigned role for that application. In this case, this should be 'WSUSER' (LIFS workshop users) for the shiny application and 'USER' for the others.
- If this is not the case, please let us know before the workshop!
- You can then safely log-out again by clicking the red button on the top right, or by accessing the following page:
To access the Moodle for the workshop, please go to the following page to log in:
and click on the "LIFS App Portal" button on the right. You will then be redirected to the authentication server, where you can use the same username and password you already used for the application portal.
- After entering your username and password, our Moodle will send an e-mail to your registered e-mail account.
- Please check your spam folder, too. The e-mail will have the subject line "LIFS Moodle E-Learning Platform: account confirmation".
- Please either click on the link contained in the e-mail or copy and paste it manually into your browser.
Additional Software Installation Required:
This workshop contains parts that require local software to be installed on the participant's computer.
Skyline and LipidCreator
- Go to this homepage https://skyline.ms/wiki/home/software/Skyline/page.view?name=SkylineInstall_64_20-1 to download Skyline, if you do not have it installed yet.
- Install it, then start Skyline and create a new document.
- Go to "Tools", "Tool Store...", select "LipidCreator" and click "Install".
- Wait until the installation has finished.
- Click on "Tools" and you should see a "LipidCreator" menu item to start LipidCreator.
- Go to this link to download LipidXplorer: https://lifs.isas.de/releases/lipidxplorer/220.127.116.11/LipidXplorer-18.104.22.168.zip
- If you just place the zip in a folder, unpack / unzip / extract it, then open the extracted folder.
- You should find LipidXplorer.exe in the folder.
- Double click LipidXplorer.exe to start it.
- Potentially, Windows could ask you to allow execution of the program.
All other tools necessary for the workshop will be available as web applications.
This workshop is kindly supported by the German Network for Bioinformatics Infrastructure (de.NBI) and Elixir Germany: